If you have a webshop, you’re probably thinking about how to boost eCommerce sales. With hundreds of tools out there and the many important pieces of an eCommerce shop it can be hard to identify which improvements will make the biggest impact on your bottom line.
Reduce Abandoned Cart Rate
Abandoned carts are one of the most common problems for online retailers. So common, in fact, that 69.2% of online shoppers leave without completing their order.
Many people use carts to collect items they like, compare with other sites, or to see the total price of the order. Some online shoppers will use the cart to “store” products and go actually purchase them at the store.
When you’re thinking about how to boost eCommerce sales, this is a logical starting point. You could look at your re-engagement methods with those who abandon carts and assess how you currently address the problem, and if you don’t, why not?
Some shopping cart software systems already encompass cart saver tools – usually with the ability to send retargeting emails to customers who abandon their carts. Before you spring for a new tool, check to make sure your current solution doesn’t already come with one.
- Recart is a great extension for Shopify that sends targeted emails and encourages shoppers to add more to their cart through targeted pop ups.
- CartStack helps you send email reminders to potential customers who don’t complete a checkout and integrates with any eCommerce platform.
- CartHook is a popular one-page checkout and abandoned cart tool for Shopify users.
- Rejoiner lets you personalize the messages you send out and also comes with a 14 day free trial. This works with any platform.
- Abandoned Cart Lite and Recover Abandoned Cart are popular for WooCommerce.
- Qualaroo will help you survey your website visitors to find out why they didn’t complete a purchase. This information is invaluable and can help you optimize your site. It works with any platform.
Improve your checkout process
One of the biggest reasons people abandon their cart is because of a difficult checkout process. By streamlining your process, asking for minimal information, and accepting multiple means of payment, you’ll see an increase in conversion rates.
1. One Step Checkout by Magestore processes data quickly and accepts multiple payment methods. This is an extension for Magento.
2. Know your market and support their preferred payment methods. Credit cards are popular in the US, UK, and Australia, Boleto in Brazil, iDEAL in the Netherlands, and WeChat Pay in China.
3. Payment methods are always evolving, especially as technology is playing a larger role (Apple and Android Pay), so be sure to stay on the forefront of trends and support them.
Add product reviews
Product reviews play a critical role in convincing customers to buy a certain product and thus play an important role in your strategy to increase conversions and boost sales. If two products are seemingly equal and one has tons of reviews, you can bet customers will be more likely to purchase the widely reviewed product, assuming it has good reviews.
Almost every potential buyer will check reviews before placing an order. Having just a single product review results in a 10% increase in order, andwith an average order value increase of 3%. That being said, if you don’t have reviews, now is the time to start collecting some from your users!
Also, be sure to utilize social media – it’s a great tool that doesn’t often come to mind. Getting social reviews can go a long way and help increase online visibility of your product along with allowing customers to engage with you.
TIPS AND TOOLS:
- Use detailed product descriptions that highlight products’ features.
- Include multiple high-quality photos.
- Check out some of these tools to make collecting reviews a breeze:
1. Yotpo sends emails to customers immediately after their purchase to encourage them to leave product reviews. It also helps with upselling and SEO.
2. TrustPilot is a review software you can invite your customers to use. The reviews your company gathers here are usually displayed on search engines like Google or Bing and help to increase your brand’s visibility and trust.
3. Feefo is similar to TrustPilot; it sends emails to customers inviting them to leave reviews. You can customize the style and layout of these reviews.
Optimize your shop for mobile use
Mobile is everywhere. People are constantly on their phones and prefer to shop there because it’s so convenient. Mobile shopping is so popular, in fact, that 1/3 of all eCommerce purchases in the holiday season were made on smartphones. If your site isn’t optimized for mobile, chances are you’re missing out on business and may also be hurting your store’s reputation; so this is critical when you’re thinking about how to boost eCommerce sales.
If people check out your shop on their phone and you haven’t optimized your site, you’re providing a pretty bad user experience and may discourage potential customers from shopping at your site. 47% of online payments come from mobile sites, and in places like Asia and Latin America, many consumers check mobile sites first.
Creating a responsive site takes a lot of time and energy, but it can really pay off. Before you dive in, think about everything your site requires and plan accordingly. We wrote an article about how to optimize your webshop search for mobile where you can find detailed tips. If you’re looking for advice on how to optimize your site as a whole for mobile, Neil Patel has a great in depth article full of strategies.
Streamline your shipping
No one likes to go online shopping, get excited about their order, and at the checkout process see an astronomical shipping fee. Free shipping is so common nowadays, that if you’re charging to ship, you might be chasing customers away. Be sure to offer competitive shipping fees and times. No one wants to wait 2+ weeks to receive a package!
While slow shipping won’t cost your business up front, it will discourage customers from shopping on your site again.
When thinking about how to improve your shipping try to:
1. Choose reliable vendors who deliver on time.
2. Offer multiple shipping options with reasonable prices.
3. Provide tracking numbers and estimate the date of delivery.
Think about customer service
When you’re thinking about how to boost eCommerce sales, customer service may not be the first thing that comes to mind, but great customer service can go a long way. Being able to speak to a person on the phone or get quick email/chat replies shows customers you care about them and encourages them to buy from you again.
Creating and maintaining this high standard of quality for your brand will continue to pay dividends. If you’re unsure if you need a customer service management tool is, chances are you will. If your store isn’t big yet, hopefully it will be and following up with your customers manually will become an impossible task.
TIPS AND TOOLS:
- Think about adding a chat service – people like quick answers!
- Olark is a great chat solution. It’s one of the most popular options because it’s customizable and allows users to keep track of current and past actions of their customers.
- Groove is a customer support platform that feels like email and allows you to manage tickets, integrates with other apps, and tracks performance.
Add pop ups and push notifications
Pop ups and push notifications can serve a variety of purposes. Pop ups can provide special offers, collect exit intent, decrease cart abandonment, or generate leads.
Push notifications are messages from certain companies a user knows and wants to hear from. These messages are most common on mobile, but can also be used on desktop. Push notifications are often used to inform users about promotions, restocked items, or special events.
TIPS AND TOOLS:
- Marketizer is a full-featured solution that offers robust personalization features.
- WisePops is easy to use and lets you target specific audiences based on how they arrived to your site.
- Sumo is highly customizable provides insight into your web visitors behavior.
- Popup Domination allows you to easily build popups. It can be used as a WordPress plugin or as a stand alone tool for any website.
- SendX is an all-in-one marketing software that lets you set up email campaigns and push notifications to capture leads.
- Pushcrew lets you send personalized, clickable notifications to your customers.
Following on the same note of pop ups and push notifications, promotional bars – small bars that appears and sticks to the top/bottom of your site, are a great way to inform your customers of special offers, redirect them to specific pages, and generate leads.
Promotional bars are especially useful in upselling situations where you don’t want to seem too pushy. These bars look like friendly suggestions that gently nudge customers into buying more.
1. Promo Bar is a great plugin for Shopify stores that can be customized to blend in with your site’s design.
2. Hello Bar is an awesome tool that lets you customize promotional bars and provides analytics about click-through rates. It also lets you A/B test different messages.
When customers visit your store, you collect their email addresses, you spend time implementing popups, creating landing pages, and following up with leads. Email marketing fits seamlessly with all of these activities and is important for any type of business, but especially eCommerce stores. So when you’re considering how to boost eCommerce sales, don’t overlook your marketing strategy.
Email marketing lets you send out targeted emails to different people. You can segment your email database in many different ways and use that to enhance your other marketing efforts. You can send thank you emails to loyal customers, upsell products, and offer special offers like free shipping for orders over 150$ to customers who typically spend 100-150$.
- Emarsys is a full service marketing software that helps unify messages across channels, automate marketing processes, and provides detailed analytics.
- MailChimp is one of the most popular email marketing services because of it’s wide range of features and how easy it is to implement.
- Benchmark Email is perfect for smaller companies because of how adaptable it is.
- ActiveCampaign offers robust email marketing and automation features and has great customer service.
- Bronto is an extension for Magento sites that also works as a CRM system.
- Drip is a marketing automation software that lets you capture email address and then funnels those leads into an automated system where you can nurture those leads with personalized emails.With Drip, you can also segment your email database based on the number of website visits, form data, previous purchases, and email activity.
Collect Data and review analytics
Simply implementing the tools previously mentioned isn’t enough to boost eCommerce sales. Analytics and data should play an integral role. By frequently checking analytics, you can see where your shop could use some improvement and bolster those areas instead of investing in tools across the board, which can be costly.
Analytics can provide insight that helps you make business decisions. If you know your CLV you can set a budget for acquiring customers that keeps your business profitable or you can compare your marketing channels side by side to see, which if providing a better ROI so you can invest more money into that.
- Kissmetrics is probably the most popular tool out there. It’s not hard to see why with their wide variety of tools and great support.
- RJMetrics is an analytics tool that helps you track important business metrics like customer lifetime value and highest performing campaign channels.
- Metrilo is an analytics, CRM, and email marketing platform all in one.
- Optimizely helps users to A/B test and analyze campaigns.
Did we miss anything? If you feel something was overlooked or have insight to a great tool not mentioned here, let us know! We love to stay up-to-date on the current industry trends.